About JICA Organization
The Japan International Cooperation Agency, often abbreviated as JICA, is a governmental agency that facilitates official development assistance for the government of Japan. It is chartered with assisting economic and social growth in developing countries and the promotion of international cooperation. JICA is responsible for establishing a wide range of initiatives that promote international cooperation between Japan and developing countries around the world.
Scholarships Offered by JICA
1. JICA Innovative Asia scholarship
For ambitious Indonesian students who dream of studying in Japan, the prestigious scholarship called Innovative Asia offered by JICA will help make their dreams come true. JICA offers the annual scholarship to almost 200 students from South and Southeast Asian countries, which includes Indonesia.
After you have finished your bachelor’s degree at a partner university with JICA in Indonesia, you will have a chance to be sponsored to continue to advance to your Master’s or PhD degree at a university in Japan.
Universities in Indonesia that have partnership with Japanese universities in the JICA Innovative Asia Program include:
- Universitas Darma Persada
- Universitas Gadjah Mada
- Universitas Hasanuddin
- Universitas Indonesia
The Innovative Asia scholarship covers the following expenses for participants of the program.
- Tuition at Japanese university master’s/ doctor’s degree programs (and research student) (actual cost)
- Allowances for living expenses (fixed amount)
- Outfit allowance (general outfit and shipping) (fixed amount)
- Mobilization allowance (fixed amount)
- Moving allowance (lump-sum payment for rental contract)
- Books (fixed amount)
- Interior research (fixed amount)
- A round-trip airfare (actual cost of flights from / to Jakarta Soekarno-Hatta International Airport to / from airports in Japan)
- Expenses for support programs during the study in Japan, including the costs of observation tours and internship (actual cost)
- Tuition for Japanese language and business manner training (fixed amount)
Besides financial support in their studies, scholarship recipients will also have to participate in an internship at a Japanese corporation or institution in which they can experience the working environment in the Japanese private sector and understand its management system, as well as improve personal management and research skills for career development. The internship will last between one week to three months, and working hours will be determined by the host institutions.
2. SDGs Global Leaders Course
In addition to the JICA Innovative Asia scholarship, Indonesian students can also apply for SDGs Global Leaders Course. The course is a program for government employees, university professors, and other professional experts from similar development fields who come from countries ASEAN, Oceania, South, East, and Central Asia, South America and Sub-Saharan Africa. By participating in the program, these professionals in the academia or the public sector can hone their skills and experience to become the potential leaders of the future, and to develop their capacity to assist their countries in meeting their Sustainable Development Goals by allowing participants to earn either a Master’s or Doctoral degree at a high level Japanese university.
How to Apply for JICA Innovative Asia Scholarship
In order to apply for the JICA Scholarship, one must follow these application guidelines:
First, applicants will submit their documents to their desired graduate school. The graduate school will select a few candidates and recommend them to the university. The international office of the university will then evaluate candidates from different graduate schools before they send their recommended list to JICA. JICA will then make their final decision on scholarship recipients and announce the Japanese universities of their selection.
Once the applicant clears this round, they can proceed to the next steps of document check. Applicants shall receive the notification of the results of this round after approximately 2 weeks. Compulsory documents to apply for the Doctoral program typically include:
- Application form. Applicants are required to provide information on their personal and educational and/ or employment history.
- Photos of approximately 3.5 x 4.5 cm
- Research proposal. Applicants will need to explain in detail about their motivation to apply for the Doctoral program, the purpose of their research, and the methods of how they plan to conduct their research, as well as their research history.
- Abstract(s) of publication(s) including conferences in which the applicant is the first author. The abstract is accompanied with full reference information including: name(s) of the author(s), title, and publication information.
- Academic transcripts of Bachelor’s and Master’s degree.
- For those who are expecting to graduate, applicants are required to submit the originals or certified copies of graduation certificates for each graduated program.
- Recommendation letters from supervisor in the most recently graduated /expected to graduate program, or others familiar with your academic or professional work. Depending on the school, some universities might require two to three recommendation letters.
- Documents to prove English proficiency. On average, the minimum English proficiency requirements are: TOEFL iBT Test:79; TOEFL PBT: 550; IELTS: 6.0; TOEIC L&R: 730. Applicants need to require the test organizers to directly send the proficiency certificate to the university based on the institution code of that university.
- Photocopy of passport
JICA has fueled the dreams of Indonesian students in pursuing quality education in Japan and plays an important role in strengthening the diplomatic and commercial relationship between Indonesia and Japan. Opportunities will certainly open up for those who are dedicated to making their dreams come true!
“JICA Scholarship Project (JDS) for Master’s Degree Started Accepting Application” – JICA Homepage
“‘Innovative Asia’ / Scholarship to Japan” – JICA Homepage