International Christian University (ICU), a private university located in Mitaka, Tokyo, offers over 30 undergraduate majors and has a graduate school. ICU has one of the most distinguished Liberal Arts College in Japan, and is a fully bilingual campus, where classes are held in English or Japanese.
When it comes to scholarship opportunities for undergraduate students, ICU offers scholarship support through the JICUF Scholarship Foundation.
The JICUF Scholarship aims to increase the number of international degree-seeking students at ICU and to create a network of scholarship recipients who will remain in touch with JICUF and ICU in the future.
There are two subcategories within this initiative :
- The Syrian Scholars Initiative : This full scholarship is offered to Syrian students affected by the Civil War and covers full tuition, facilities fees, housing, living expenses, insurance and airfare. It has started in 2017 and will continue until 2025, supporting six students in total.
- U.S. Scholars Initiative : This full-tuition support scholarship is merit-based and is offered to students from the United States. It has started in 2018 and supports two students annually.
Scholarship for Graduate Students
ICU offers a variety of scholarship support for their Master’s and PhD courses. Students can apply for scholarships at different stages of their application process: usually, they can apply either before or after the start of the enrollment process.
Below is a list of scholarships available as students apply to ICU, and therefore before they are officially enrolled :
- ICU Torch Relay Graduate School Scholarship : After students have successfully passed both screening processes and therefore have been accepted into ICU, they will receive a series of application documents to fill in in order to officialize their enrollment status. As part of these documents, there is one application form for the ICU Torch Relay Graduate School Scholarship, for which any student is eligible to apply. If successful, students will be awarded a one-third fee and facilities fee waiver for one academic year.
- JICUF Scholarship : Foreign nationals (September admission only) can apply to this scholarship provided by the JICUF Foundation. If successful, students will be awarded a two-third fee and facilities fee waiver for one academic year.
- MEXT Scholarship by Top Global University Project : Up to two foreign students per academic year are accepted to ICU under this scholarship. The scholarship covers full tuition fees, facilities fees and provides a monthly stipend of JPY147,000 for Master’s students and JPY148,000 for PhD students. Although this scholarship is valid for one academic year, students are invited to apply for an extension just before its expiry. Students will be successful in obtain the extension based on their overall GPA, and based on a recommendation letter from their advisor.
Below is a list of scholarships available after students have officially been accepted into ICU :
- ICU Torch Relay Continuing School Scholarship : This scholarship is for second year Master’s students (Both Japanese and foreign nationals). If successful, students will be awarded a one-third fee and facilities fee waiver for one academic year.
- Non-Japanese Student Scholarship : This scholarship is for second year Master’s students (Foreign nationals only). If successful, students will be awarded either a one-third fee and facilities fee waiver, half fee and facilities fee waiver, or a two-third fee and facilities fee waiver for one academic year. The amount is decided based on the student’s academic performance and financial need.
Loan Opportunities for Graduate Students
- ICU Long-term Loan : Master’s and PhD students can apply for a loan covering the amount of the annual tuition and facilities fees. Students are expected to start paying back the loan after they have graduated, within twenty years of the start of the contract.
- Loan offered by JASSO : Master’s and PhD students can apply for two types of loan offered by JASSO : either the “Type I” loan, an interest-free loan, or the “Type II” loan; both cover tuition fees and monthly stipend, and both need to be repaid within 20 years after graduation.
For any question related to scholarship opportunities at ICU, the ICU Student Affairs group can be contacted either via telephone (0081 (0) 422 33 3068), or via email : email@example.com