Toyota Tsusho International Student Scholarship (豊田通商留学生奨学金) is provided by Japan Educational Exchanges and Services (JEES – 日本国際教育支援協会) under the sponsorship of Toyota Tsusho Corporation(豊田通商株式会). This scholarship was inaugurated in 2011 with the aim of providing financial assistance to foreign students studying in Japanese educational institutions and thus promoting their academic efficiency. At the same time, this scholarship also aims at promoting cultural exchange in order to foster friendly relationship with various nations throughout the world. Every year around 15 students are selected for the scholarship who receive a monthly stipend of ￥1,00,000 for the duration of two years to support their academic needs.
Eligibility for scholarship
The applicant must satisfy following requirements in order to be eligible for the scholarship:
- The applicants must be enrolled in a Japanese university as a foreign student (留学生). Self-funded foreign students enrolled in their third year of an undergraduate course, a master course, or a doctorate course can apply for the scholarship. Only the students of certain designated universities can apply for the scholarship. The applicants are advised to contact their university to confirm their eligibility.
- The applicants must be majoring in either Social Sciences, Humanities, Natural Science or Engineering.
- The applicants must show their commitment towards the development of both Japan and their own country.
- The applicants’ reason and plans for studying abroad must be clear.
- The applicant must demonstrate financial need.
- The applicant must not be a recipient of other scholarships (excluding loans, tuition waiver and one-off payment).
- The applicant must be recommended by the head of the university they are enrolled in.
The applicants must apply for the scholarship through their university. The head of the university then recommends the applications of the eligible applicants to the Board Chairman of JEES.
Following documents must be submitted as a part of the application:
- A designated application form to be filled in Japanese
- One 4 cm x 3 cm formal ID style photo taken within past 6 months with name written behind the photo to be pasted in the application form
- A designated recommendation form to be filled by applicant’s guidance instructor(指導教官等)
- Applicant’s academic transcript
All the documents must be in Japanese and any non-Japanese documents must be translated to Japanese.
The application period begins around October and ends in November. The documents must reach JEES by 30th November. Any late submission or lack of necessary documents or submission of false documents would result in disqualification of the application. Furthermore, the documents submitted will not be returned back to the applicants. The applicants are thus advised to be taken special care.
Selection and notification of results:
The application recommended by the head of the university is reviewed by the Board Chairman of JEES and the Toyota Tsusho Corporation. The recipients of the scholarship are selected after careful consideration of all the applications. The result of the scholarship are then notified to the applicants through the university around mid-February.
Duties of the recipient of the scholarship:
As a recipient of the scholarship, each scholar has following obligations:
- The scholarship recipients must report their academic progress to the Board Chairman at the end of every academic year and at the end of the scholarship period, by submitting relevant academic transcript through their university.
- The scholarship recipients must participate, as per guidance, in all the exchange meetings organized by the sponsor.
- The scholarship recipients must answer all the questionnaire as per the request of JEES or the sponsor.
- Any change in student registration must be reported to JEES through their university as soon as possible.
- Any change in address or contact details must be immediately reported to JEES through their university while enrolled in the university, and directly to JEES after graduation from the university.
- The scholarship recipients must report his placement of employment to JEES through their university at the time of graduation.
Any further queries regarding the scholarship can be made to the office of the respective school or directly to the Japan Educational Exchanges and Services(JEES).
東京都港区西新橋 1-13-1 DLX ビルディング 12 階
Japan Educational Exchanges and Services(JEES)
12F DLX building 1-13-1 Nishishinbashi, Minatoku, Tokyo, Japan