Established in 1911 as one of the imperial colleges of Japan, Kyushu University is famous for being a member of the premier National Seven Universities. This Japanese national university is located in Fukuoka, on the island of Kyushu. According to Times Higher Education (2020), Kyushu University ranks 4th in Japan. The university is actively admitting international students to diversify its student body population, and its 13% acceptance rate of foreign applicants speaks for this fact. Kyushu University has 16 faculties, 11 undergraduate schools, and 18 graduate schools. It is home to nearly 19,000 students from some 90 countries, with over 2,000 academic faculties.
Without further ado, let’s discover which graduate programs you can apply for at Kyushu university. In this article, you can gain insights about 17 graduate programs of the following fields (in the order listed): Humanities, Global Society, Environment, Law, Economics, Science, Mathematics, Life Science, Medical – Dental – Pharmaceutical Science, Engineering, Design, Information – Electrical Engineering, Bio-environment. Ready? Let’s go!
Under the graduate programs of Humanities, you can study 21 subjects within three major fields of study:
The Graduate School consists of a two-year master’s course and a three-year-plus doctorate course mainly covering subjects of Philosophy & Ethics, Oriental Ideas, Art Studies, Japanese History, Asian History, History of Wide Area Civilization, Geography, Japanese & Chinese Literature, Western Literature, and Linguistics.
Offering a broad range of courses in the Humanities, Social Sciences, and Natural Sciences, this Graduate School provides 6 graduate programs in the School of Integrated Sciences for Global Society:
- Comprehensive earth sciences program
- Comprehensive science of biological environment program:
- International cooperation, security and safety program
- Social diversity and coexistence program
- Language, media and communication program
- Comprehensive East Asian and Japanese studies program
The Graduate School of Human-Environment Studies is designed to include six departments, eleven courses, and one professional graduate school. Students under these programs are provided with specialized classes from engineering technology to humanities.
The departments under the Graduate School of Human-Environment Studies are as follows:
- Urban Design, Planning and Disaster Management
- Clinical Psychology and Community Studies
- Behavior and Health Sciences
- Clinical Psychology Practice (Professional Graduate School)
There are two graduate programs in the Graduate School of Law:
You can choose the following international programs in Law at Kyushu University:
- Doctoral Program in Law
- International Economic & Business Law
- Young Leaders’ Program in Law
- JDS Program in Law
- Bilingual Program in Law
- Double Degree Programs in Law
- Lifelong learning Program in Law
- Kyushu Summer Institute in Law & Innovation
In recognition of this changing context of contemporary Asia, Kyushu University’s Faculty of Law has established a new program, Comparative Studies of Politics and Administration in Asia.
For all the applicants, the deadline for the submission of the CSPA application form is June 12, 2020. You can refer to the following documents for further details about the admissions process.
The Graduate School of Economics is designed to have 3 departments:
- Department of Economic Engineering
- Department of Economic Systems
- Department of Business and Technology Management
Under these departments, the number of students accepted for the master program is around 20-25 students per year while 10-14 students will be accepted for the Ph.D. program. Students can pick one of the following four specialized fields for analysis: Contemporary Economy Analysis, World Economy Analysis, Industrial Analysis, and Corporate Analysis.
Programs under this graduate school will teach differential and integral calculus, linear algebra, and other essential courses to departments throughout the university. Aspiring to educate mathematicians in the global society, courses of the following programs are also provided to the engineering departments and graduate-level mathematics to the Graduate School of Information Science and Electrical Engineering and the Graduate School of Systems Life Sciences.
- Kyushu University Leading Ph.D. Program in Mathematics for Key Technologies
- The education-and-research Ph.D. program
This program provides a five-year Ph.D. course to nurture global leaders of research and education in Systems Life Sciences, equipped with the so-called double-major in biology and informatics, or biology and engineering. It also provides a Master’s degree to students at the end of the first two years of the course, if requested. There are 5 divisions under this graduate school:
- Division of Bioinformatics
- Division of Life Engineering
- Division of Medical Molecular Cell Biology
- Division of Molecular Life Sciences
- Division of Biological Sciences
There are 5 major areas of study with brief descriptions as follows:
- Graduate School of Medical Sciences (Master Course)
- Graduate School of Medical Sciences (Ph.D. Course)
- The Master Course of Health Science (2-year-course)
- The Doctoral Course of Health Science (3-year-course)
- Department of Health Care Administration and Management (Master Course) (2-year-course)
Under the graduate programs of dental science, you are able to undertake doctoral studies in English while studying at a Japanese university. The 4-year-program is designed to provide students with the skills necessary to complete high-level research in dentistry. Students can choose to learn and complete the courses to obtain the following degrees:
- Doctor of Dental Science
- Doctor of Clinical Medicine and Dental Science
- Doctor of Science.
Under this graduate school, students can enroll in one of the following departments:
- Department of Medicinal Sciences
- Department of Medicinal Sciences
- Department of Clinical Pharmacy
The Graduate School of Engineering is one of the Schools that offer most divisions and international programs for students. You can access the following links for further details.
- Master’s Program
- International Master’s Program
- Doctoral Program (General Selection)
- Doctoral Program (For Special Entrance of Working Personnel)
- International Doctoral Programs (Language of Instruction: English)
There are 2 Departments under the Graduate School of Design, and each has its own set of English-based courses!
- Department of Design
- Department of Design Strategy
Read Admissions Guide for further information!
Seeing that Information Technology (IT) has received considerable attention worldwide, the Graduate School of Information Science and Electrical Engineering (ISEE) aims to produce researchers and engineers, who will play important roles in electrical, electronics, and communication fields, which the most important industrial foundation in the world.
ISEE offers various programs and courses of information science in both English and Japanese language. They cover an extremely large field of disciplines and consists of three main departments:
- Department of Informatics
- Department of Advanced Information Technology
- Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
There are five departments in Interdisciplinary Graduate School of Engineering Sciences:
- Applied Science for Electronics and Materials
- Molecular and Material Sciences
- Advanced Energy Engineering Science
- Earth System Science and Technology
- Energy and Environmental Engineering
The Graduate School of Bioresource and Bioenvironmental Sciences offers two graduate programs: the standard and special courses. The special course, which is targeted at international students, commences in September and focuses on international development research. Meanwhile, the standard course is taught in Japanese and commences in April. Upon completing the courses, you will be awarded a Master of Science (M.Sc) or Doctor of Philosophy (Agricultural Science).
As part of the effort to develop the new frontiers of science, and to reorganize and reintegrate the scientific knowledge accumulated so far, Kyushu University has opened a new graduate school with 3 departments:
Well-known as one of the imperial institutions of Japan, with the famous centennial motto “leading the field in the next 100 years, leaping into the world top 100”, Kyushu University is always a desirable destination for any students wishing to further their education in Japan.
I hope that after this article, you can decide which graduate programs at Kyushu University are suitable for you so that you could start your plan as soon as possible.
To get all the latest news and hear what enrolled students share about their experiences at Kyushu University, you can visit the Kyushu University Community Page!