With a history stretching back over 140 years, the University of Tsukuba is one of Japan’s oldest and most respected universities. Nestled in Tsukuba, a city rich with a natural environment away from central Tokyo, the University of Tsukuba offers all the conveniences within easy reach and at an affordable price. According to Times Higher Education (THE) 2020 Rankings, it is ranked 10th in Japan and 250th globally. Moreover, the long list of notable alumni that includes three Nobel laureates is a testament to the prestige and high-quality education offered by the university. Offering a broad range of degree courses taught in both English and Japanese, the University of Tsukuba is truly a global university that emphasizes diversity in education. With its slogan “Imagine the future,” the university aims to foster its professional global network and contribute to international society.
The University of Tsukuba offers a wide range of degree courses taught in either Japanese or English. Normally, if you want to study only English-based programs, it is advised to apply for the September programs since these programs are specially made for international students. Under this English-based programs, you will receive support and Japanese language training from the Center of the Academic Affairs at Tsukuba University. Recently, the university has witnessed a steady increase in the number of classes that enable you to take programs taught in English alongside Japanese students and access numerous opportunities to enhance your Japanese language ability.
University of Tsukuba’s English programs are taught by qualified professors who were trained at prestigious institutions all around the world and attract a diverse group of students from both Japan and overseas. In the following courses, the majority of those are taught entirely in English with only some are offered in two languages.
- Bachelor of Arts in International Social Sciences
- Bachelor’s Program in Global Issues
- Bachelor of International Medical Science
- Bachelor of Bio-resource Science (English & Japanese)
- Bachelor of Science in Biology (English & Japanese)
- Bachelor of Science in Geoscience (English & Japanese)
- Course of Biological Sciences for Agrobiology and Forestry
- Course of Applied Biological Chemistry
- Course of Environmental Engineering
- Course of Economics and Sociology
- Interdisciplinary Engineering
For further detailed course descriptions, please visit:http://www.global.tsukuba.ac.jp/undergraduate/programs?lang=148
- Dual Master’s in Medical Science
- International Agricultural Science
- Master of Art in Education (International Education)
- Master’s of Public Health Program
- Master’s Program of Agro-bioresources Science and Technology
- Master’s Program in Biological Sciences
- Master’s Program in Computer Science
- Master’s Program in Economic and Public Policy
- Master’s Program in Environmental Sciences
- Master’s Program in Geoscience
- Master’s Program in Interdisciplinary Biodiplomacy
- Master’s Program in International Public Policy
- Master’s Program in Library and Information Science
- Master’s Program in Materials Science and Engineering
- Master’s Program in Nanoscience
- Master’s Program in Sport and Olympic Studies
- Master’s Program in Life Science Innovation
- MBA in International Business
- Special Program for Central Asian Countries in International Relations and Public Policy
- Special Program in International Relations
For detailed course descriptions: http://www.global.tsukuba.ac.jp/masters/programs
- Doctoral Program in Advanced Agricultural Technology and Sciences (English + Japanese)
- Doctoral Program in Appropriate Technology and Science for Sustainable Development (English + Japanese)
- Doctoral Program in Bioindustrial Science
- Doctoral Program Biological Science (English + Japanese)
- Doctoral Program in Bioresource Engineering and Economic Courses
- Doctoral Program in Biosphere Resource Science and Technology (English + Japanese)
- Doctoral Program in Earth Evolution Sciences (English + Japanese)
- Doctoral Program in Geoenvironmental Sciences (English + Japanese)
- Doctoral Program in Integrative Environment and Biomass Sciences (English + Japanese)
- Doctoral Program in International Public Policy
- Doctoral Program in Life Sciences and Bio-engineering (English + Japanese)
- Doctoral Program in Sustainable Environment Studies (English + Japanese)
- International Agricultural Sciences
- International Doctoral Program in Medical Sciences
- Materials Science and Engineering Course
- Ph.D Program in Powerment Informatics
- Ph.D Program in Human Biology
- Ph.D Program in Life Science Innovation
- Ph.D Program in Humanics (English + Japanese)
For detailed course descriptions: http://www.global.tsukuba.ac.jp/doctoral/programs
The University of Tsukuba is among the top Japanese universities that offer a high number of short programs on campus. The following programs may take you around 90 days to 6 months to complete after which you will receive a certificate. However, they only accept a limited number of students for each program, so you must be prepared for the competitive admissions process.
- COINS Short-term Internship Program
- Internship Program for Young Researchers
- MBA – IB Short-term Study Program
- Shimoda International Internship Program in Marine Biology
- Short-term Course of the Integrative Biomass and Environmental Sciences
- Summer Research Program in Tsukuba
- Tsukuba Summer Institute
Some of the aforementioned short programs are closed for certain admissions year. Therefore, you must update the latest information on this website.
Japanese Language Courses
For international students who want to improve their Japanese language ability, these courses are an absolute fit for you! Offered by the Japanese Language Education Division of the Center for Education of Global Communication (CEGLOG) of the University of Tsukuba, not only students of Tsukuba University but also any students outside the school can apply and enroll in these Japanese language courses.
Check the following website for more information: http://www.cegloc.tsukuba.ac.jp
Double/ Joint degree program
The University of Tsukuba aims to foster human resources with more specialized knowledge, equipped with a set of soft skills needed to succeed in the future. For those who wish to become global leaders in the future, you can consider the following programs:
■ International Double Degree Programs
■ International Joint Degree Programs
You can check the course list of this program here:
The list of DDP/JDP programs (pdf)
The University of Tsukuba Japan – Expert Program
For a bachelor’s degree, the University of Tsukuba has established the Japan-Expert Program to train international students who possess a Japanese outlook to further Japan’s culture and society. For those who hope to find employment at companies in Japan after graduation, this program is a perfect fit for you! You will be offered with a myriad of opportunities for mock interviews and gain practical experience through field trips.
For detailed information, please see the Japan-Expert Program Website.
The University of Tsukuba is a high-ranking university offering a diverse selection of degree programs taught in both English and Japanese, with courses ranging from social sciences to natural sciences. As you can see, there’s no shortage of high-quality English programs at prestigious Japanese universities. You can also have numerous study options and receive a quality education at Tsukuba university, so why not grab this opportunity and start planning for your goal?
Find out more about the University of Tsukuba here, and prepare for your future application process! A whole exciting journey in Japan is awaiting you to explore!